Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Oatmeal Heals

Why is it that on the days when one actually has the luxury of time to do things that need to be done, the brain refuses to function and chooses to stay in a state of constant daze? Nothing is accomplished.

Today was one of those days for me. When an hour passed after my work day was over, I was still sitting in front of my computer, wondering which task I should prioritize. Again, I drew a blank so I shut off my computer and decided to leave work. It was time to get on and do other things that do not involve work but is required for my health and well-being. A big grocery shopping trip, a quick run then yoga, cook a nice quinoa and salmon dinner, and maybe write a post.

I managed to go to the grocery store and because it was going to be a super quick stop, ended up buying more than what was necessary. Drove to the gym with building frustration because there was no time for a run as I was already late for yoga class (no one should feel this way when driving to a yoga class!). When my mat was rolled out, I caught the second part of the warrior pose, which means I only did it on one side and was unbalanced the rest of the time. My legs wobbled during the balance track and were unwilling to stretch. It was amazing how hard it was to achieve calm and relaxation with all the pent-up anger inside me. That was not me and I did not like how I was.

As soon as I got home, I couldn’t smile and be happy. All I wanted was to eat junk… homemade tortilla chips (yes, it is junk food even if it’s fried with less oil) with salsa and Cheetos. These orange sticks coated with fake cheese fairy dust and MSG are my downfall. DFJ hides them from me, but he sensed that I needed them. So I ate handfuls from a huge bag until… well, too late. Quinoa and salmon will have to wait until tomorrow.  Too much junk food ruined my appetite.

Dinner dilemma. What can I make that won’t require too much time and effort? Something light and healthy, but comforting… Ah, oatmeal. Yes, some good ol’ oatmeal! Food made to heal an angry spirit.

Normally, I don’t measure my oatmeal ingredients. However, since I started my blog… this is for you…






Soul Healing Oatmeal (4-5 servings)

2 ½ cups water
1 ½ cups old fashioned rolled oats
pinch of Kosher salt
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
1 tsp honey
½ cup milk (non-fat is ok)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp brown sugar, firmly packed
zest of 1 clementine
½ cup blueberries (frozen is ok)


Bring water to a slight boil in a medium sauce pan then add oats. Stir a few times until all the oats are soaked then add a pinch of salt. Stir a few times and then add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. Stir again a few times and when it starts to boil, add the milk. Stir the milk in and then add the sugar. Stir again and add the zest of a clementine. Turn off the heat and stir in blueberries.

Serve with banana slices, apple slices, peanut butter, or whatever your heart desires!

The oats should be ready 12-14 minutes after being added to the slightly boiling water.

NOTE: 
If you like your oatmeal sweeter, add more honey or sugar. More fruit? Of course!


Feeling 1,000 times better!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!