Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Joy the Baker Love: Orange-Chocolate Yogurt Pound Cake + Saturday Story

Brace yourselves guys, this is a long story. If it gets too boring, no offense will be taken. Promise! But please, scroll down to the bottom of this post and get the recipe for the pound cake, ok? 

Saturday was beautiful

I started the morning with a great yoga class then an awesome crabmeat egg scramble with bagels for brunch. Then, there was a random vanity surprise. Two years ago, my friend, Hayley, gave me a really cute dress. It is a size 0 and although it fit me everywhere, the zipper got stuck a quarter of the way up. My back just had a little extra something that did not allow the dress to fit perfectly. Today, as I was doing a quick update of what clothes I can start wearing for spring, I came upon the dress and decided to try it on. The zipper miraculously zipped all the way up! Whoop dee doo! 

The first part of the afternoon was spent blogging, making a grocery list, taking a nice, long nap, and getting ready to go on a date with DFJ. We went wine tasting to the sweetest winery ever, which was only 6 miles away. Kitzke Cellars



Last summer, DFJ and I were on a bike ride and as we were going uphill on that hot, hot day, there was a sign that said, “Wine Tasting.” It was like a mirage and I convinced DFJ to check it out. He wasn’t keen on doing so because we didn’t have our wallets with us and we looked very unattractive: sweaty and sporting helmet heads. But what the heck, we live in Washington’s Wine Country and people here will welcome you no matter what. I was not really expecting to get to do some wine tasting, but just hoped to catch a glimpse of the tasting room. A very friendly dog greeted us at the entrance and the owners welcomed us warmly, offered to have us taste some wine (even if we didn’t have any money to pay for the fee and obviously won’t be buying any bottles), and even gave us some cold water. After that nice wine break, we said our grateful “thank yous”, hopped on our bikes, and promised to come back later that day. Life happened and even though we kept talking about going back, we never did until last weekend. We had a wonderful time visiting with the charming owners, Paul and Vicky, exchanging stories, discovering that we knew some people in common, and of course tasting their good wines. Everything we tasted was great and I’m very pleased with the wines that we picked.


After wine tasting, we went grocery shopping. Man, going grocery shopping after wine tasting is not good. I ended up coveting everything and thinking about what can be made with pretty much anything I laid my eyes on. When we got home, we proceeded to start working on the Food Matters Project dinner. Roasted chicken with vegetables cooked in wine. While DFJ did the dishes, I baked this cake for the second time…



This is my adapted version of Joy the Baker’s, Chocolate Orange Pound Cake. Friday night, I made this for a dinner party and was so happy it turned out great even after some ingredient changes and some butter and sugar cuts. There was only one slice left and my friends’ dog ate it. Glad Charlie got to enjoy it too! It is seriously so good I had to bake it again at 9:30 in the evening on a Saturday night. Two days in a row! I usually never make anything twice, so this is really something special.

Anyway, while this awesome cake was baking, we settled down to watch Contagion. I conked out during the second half of the movie. While I was in a sleepy haze after the movie was over, DFJ stole a slice before I could take a picture of the whole cake. “Ooops, sorry!” was all he could say with a look that wasn’t really sorry. He shared a few bites and it made me wish it was already morning so I could have this with some coffee.




































This cake has a sweet, orangey tang, and dark chocolate bites here and there. The spelt flour in this cake adds a depth to the texture and a touch of sweet and nutty flavors. Soft and lovely inside, golden brown and crusty outside. Lovely!


Orange-Chocolate Yogurt Pound Cake
(Adapted from Joy the Baker’s, Chocolate Orange Cream Cheese Pound Cake)

2 cups spelt flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp Kosher salt

1 cup ultra-fine pure cane sugar
zest of 1 large orange

2 tbsp cream cheese
¼ cup + 2 tbsp yogurt, nonfat plain
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs

½ cup extra dark chocolate chips
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, whisk well together the flour, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium size bowl, whisk the orange zest with the sugar well.

In a separate large bowl, cream the cream cheese and yogurt together using an electric hand mixer on low speed. Add the butter and continue to cream on low speed. Pour in the orange juice and vanilla extract and continue to mix everything well on low speed.

Slowly pour in the orange-sugar into the wet mixture and mix on low speed until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs into this mixture one at a time. As each egg is added in, keep mixing on low speed until it is beaten well in the mixture.

Pour all the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and mix on low speed until everything is well incorporated. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure that no ingredients are left behind (NILB… I’m a teacher, sorry!). Add the chocolate chips and mix on low speed.

Place the oven rack in the middle and then preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Grease a cake pan with a tad of butter. Move the batter into the cake pan and bake in the oven for 60 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a cake tester or toothpick in the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it’s done.

Devour Savor this cake for breakfast, tea/coffee time, after dinner, whenever.  

Saturday was one of those perfect weekend days where I got to do everything I wanted to do… yoga, blogging, napping, going out on a lovely date, meeting nice people, grocery shopping, cooking, eating good food, watching a movie, enjoying DFJ’s company, and baking this cake.

Please bake this cake too… I promise it will make you happy!   

5 comments:

  1. This cake does look wonderful and I know I would enjoy it... orange flavors in food are a favorite of mine, add such a great touch to dishes :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delish looking cake -- so moist!!

    What a great day you had -- including the wine tasting. I want to move to California just for that. Really :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love how soft, moist and perfect it looks but at the same time simple, I loce simple things that taste great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect Saturdays are just the BEST aren't they? I think any saturday would be perfect with this cake in it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so good. Orange and chocolate is my favorite combination.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!