Monday, May 28, 2012

Spicy Kale and Black Bean Burritos + Fresh Salsa

Weekend Highlights:

1. DFJ and I drove to Spokane on Friday afternoon to spend the weekend with his Uncle, Aunt, and cousin Anika. We are having a wonderful time with this lovely family and we will surely be sad to say goodbye to everyone today. Afternoons were spent hanging out indoors playing Labyrinth and Warship as well as some gorgeous outdoor time at Anika’s playhouse and at some parks. Right before her bed time, Anika read us some stories… This girl is one good reader and we were very impressed!  





2. Yoga at Lila Yoga Studio… I went to an H2O Vinyasa class both Saturday and Sunday and had an amazing experience with great teachers: Lee Bear Tobin and Kelly Thielbahr. Bear’s class was powerful and enlightening and Kelly’s class was beautiful, graceful, and challenging. There’s so much I need to learn still and coming to a bigger class showed me what almost superhuman things other students were able to do. Before I met MY yoga teacher, Jenn, I would have come out of both classes feeling frustrated and defeated because I am not as good as everyone else. But she taught me how to believe in myself and in what I can do, to listen and respect my body, and that in time I will get to where I want to go one strong step at a time. When I stepped out into the cool air outside (the classes are heated and I was pouring sweat on my mat and completely drenched) I felt happy, strong, and at peace with myself. Thank you Jenn for teaching me how to be easy on myself and how to have fun in yoga!

3. Atticus Coffee and Gifts: great coffee and very eclectic gift shop… they sell antique trinkets, coffee and tea mugs, coffee and tea making gadgets, bulk coffee and tea, fancy chocolate, books old and new, unique greeting cards, and some cute home decor.        

Auntie’s Bookstore: local bookstore with a great selection of books, friendly staff, and very well organized displays.  

Uncle’s Games: a tiny, local game and puzzle shop with a good collection of awesome games.

4. A trip to the Spokane Trader Joe’s and Asian World Food Market on Division Street. I love Trader Joe’s and although the one in Spokane is pretty small, it is good enough because we don’t have one in our town. The Asian World Food Market is pretty small but had all the Korean food ingredients and a decent selection of Japanese food ingredients that I could ever dream of… Pretty awesome! 

5. Getting a couple of chances to cook in Laur’s beautiful kitchen! Man, I could live in her kitchen… I love the island in the middle, the view the forest (their backyard is literally a forest) from her kitchen sink, the double ovens, the six burner stove top, and her cooking tools.

Speaking of cooking, Happy Food Matter’s Project Monday to everyone! This week’s recipe, Beans ‘n Greens Burritos, was chosen by Jacqui of Good Things Grow. If you haven’t done so yet, go on over to her website to see Mark Bittman’s original recipe and, make sure to check out her delicious recipes and gorgeous pictures. Jacqui, thank you for choosing a simple, healthy, and delicious recipe… Everyone I served it to enjoyed it!

I had a few modifications and this was my version of the recipe.

spicy kale and black beans






























Spicy Kale and Black Bean Burrito Filling

2 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chipotle chili powder
5 cups kale, roughly chopped
1 can black beans, 15 oz, drained; liquid reserved

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, sauté the garlic until golden brown. Add the onions and cook until soft and almost translucent, about 5 minutes. Toss in the diced carrot and bell pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder. Throw in the kale, one handful at a time and cook until it wilts, about 6 minutes. Pour in the beans with a little bit of the liquid (about 2 teaspoons) and cook for about 8 more minutes.  


spicy kale and black bean burrito with fresh salsa and feta cheese
















Serve on warm whole wheat or flour tortillas with queso fresco or feta cheese and fresh salsa. Fold into a burrito and enjoy!



fresh salsa with mini heirloom tomatoes


Fresh Salsa

2 cups mini heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
freshly squeezed juice of 1 lime
½ tsp chili powder
 ¼ tsp pepper

In a large glass bowl, mix together tomatoes, onions, garlic, and cilantro. Stir together well. Squeeze lime juice and stir until everything is coated with the juice. Season with chili powder, salt, and pepper and stir well to make sure all seasonings are evenly distributed. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least two hours to allow flavors to settle. Give the salsa another good stir right before serving. 

Great in burritos, tacos, or tortilla chips!


Today let us remember to say a silent prayer of gratitude to our brave brothers and sisters who have given their lives for the country and say thank you to a war veteran.  

15 comments:

  1. This looks AMAZING! And that salsa (thanks for the recipe). I too used black beans and really liked how it worked with the flavors. And I used spinach and swiss chard, instead. Not too big on kale around here :)

    Maria
    http://www.fitnessgirlkitchen.com/2012/05/food-matters-project-beans-n-greens.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this week's assignment even though I went a slightly different road :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a busy weekend!
    This looks SO tasty! I love how colorful your meals are, YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margarita, You really captured the beauty of your dish. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics, looks like a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see you had a fabulous time with your relatives. The filling of these burritos is amazing! I love Mexican and this one sure is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Margarita, thanks for sharing your weekend highlights! I do hot power vinyasa also and love it. I have never left a class not feeling better than when I got there. Your burritos look really great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My yoga teacher also encourages me to be content with what I CAN do, rather than what I can't do yet. An important lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the perfect meal, incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just learned to do the wheel a few months ago. It took me about two years to learn it so I've very greatful. After yoga it's always nice to have a healthy meal like the one you've set on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Margarita that sounds like a great meal and an even better weekend! What goodies did you scoop up from Trader Joes and the Asian store?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green tea buckwheat noodles, Korean red pepper paste, some laver for sushis, stainless steel chopsticks, TJ potstickers, stocked up on coconut milk, and some cheeses! So happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fabulous weekend away! Yay for visiting Trader Joe's...that's one of my favorite places on earth. Your burritos sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That spicy kale and burrito filling sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're still waiting for the masses of tomatoes- hopefully not too much longer. But that salsa you made- I just want to eat it through the screen! It looks so delicious and amazing! BTW- sounds like you had a busy, but fun, weekend! Great advice on looking at your own pace, especially when doing yoga!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!