Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lemony Swiss Chard

I bought a bag of Meyer lemons at the store two weeks ago and forgot about them. Then my weekly Food 52 email came and featured several Meyer lemon recipes. Wow, how did they know that I have been neglecting my precious lemons?

This Pink Greens recipe inspired me to make a Swiss chard sauté with Meyer lemon juice. I love everything about this dish… it is full of healthy greens, bright and zesty, sweet, and just wonderful!  
 

 
 
Lemony Swiss Chard (Makes 2-3 servings)
 
 
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 of an onion, sliced
2 teaspoons sugar
8 oz Swiss chard, stems chopped and leaves sliced into thin ribbons
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
few grinds of black pepper
juice of 1 Meyer lemon (or a regular lemon)


Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet. When the oil is hot, sauté the garlic until fragrant and golden, 30-40 seconds. Toss the onions in and cook for about 3 minutes until soft and translucent. Stir in the sugar and let cook for a minute, just until the onions caramelize lightly.

Add the chopped Swiss chard stems and cook for 2 minutes, just enough to soften them slightly. Toss in the leaves and cook for about 2 minutes until they are wilted. Season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir for a minute to allow the seasonings to soak in. Pour in the lemon juice and stir for a minute. Turn off the stove and move the pan away from the heat. Serve warm.

 
 
I think this would be a great side dish to a variety of meat entrées for your Valentine’s dinner!   

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I LOVE meyer lemons. I bought them for the first time this summer, and I was instantly hooked. This sounds great!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what your thoughts are... Your comments always make my day!